Coronavirus and Impact to Stock Market

mike
User Type: Bidstack Investor
Your Bidstack Animal: Bull (Optimistic)

Coronavirus and Impact to Stock Market

Post by mike »

I debated to myself whether to start this thread as there is already so much information in the media causing panic and affecting many stocks...

...and toilet paper supplies...

But I do feel that it would be good, for those that want to, to have a healthy discussion / debate about the impacts we are seeing of Coronavirus both directly to Bidstack and to the market as a whole. We should all stay as level-headed as we can.

From this morning (Evening Standard):
Former chancellor George Osborne said he would focus this week’s Budget on helping steady the economy during the coronavirus outbreak if he was still in Number 11.

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme:

“If I was Chancellor of the Exchequer, I would make this a Budget for the coronavirus, I would do everything I could to vaccinate the economy against what is going to happen.

“If we can’t vaccinate people against what is going to happen, I would provide the cash for businesses and individuals that don’t have it at the moment because of the impact of the virus, and try and provide that immunity to the economy going forward.”

Mr Osborne said the money needs to be made available immediately to businesses that have been hit by a “short-term” downturn in their profits or with sick staff.

“If I was chancellor, and I’m sure Rishi (Sunak) is thinking like this, I don’t want some complicated scheme that is going to be working in six months’ time,” he said.

“I need to use the tools that are available to me right now to help people who are unable to work because their business has shut or they are self-isolating or they have got the virus, and to help those small and medium-sized businesses that will have very limited cash reserves and therefore could go into bankruptcy.

“It is a short-term help. It is not like we are going to have 10 years of this.”

MGXYZ

Re: Coronavirus and Impact to Stock Market

Post by MGXYZ »

I've conditioned myself to view falling markets as a positive and a buying opportunity.

You'll never see me panic when things are falling.

So I'm not overly concerned about markets and I imagine that for Bidstack, the impact may well be positive if it reduces travel expenses.

mike

Post by mike »

Let's hope that Sylvia Browne's 2008 'End of Days' book prediction was right and this is going to suddenly disappear as fast as it appeared!

Reminds me a little of the de-rampers on the boards.

If you say a placing is going to happen enough times, eventually you'll be right

MGXYZ

Post by MGXYZ »

Because we like a little fact based research here....

These quotes “predicting” coronavirus are from two different books

https://fullfact.org/online/book-didnt- ... ronavirus/

I know yours doesn't quote two books but always interesting to see how some contrive info.

This one is briliant.... Wuhan is where 5G was rolled out first.

https://fullfact.org/online/wuhan-5g-coronavirus/

Cramond11
Your Bidstack Animal: Rather not say

Post by Cramond11 »

this does bring back memories of 08-09, made mistake back then, trouble is you never learn, think I am repeating the mistake again by buying today (not bids)! :lol:

mike

Post by mike »

Cramond11 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm
this does bring back memories of 08-09, made mistake back then, trouble is you never learn, think I am repeating the mistake again by buying today (not bids)! :lol:
Haha, exactly when I bought my first house; right at the top of the housing bubble before it popped!

Cramond11
Your Bidstack Animal: Rather not say

Post by Cramond11 »

mike wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:36 pm
Cramond11 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 pm
Haha, exactly when I bought my first house; right at the top of the housing bubble before it popped!
same boat, hope your mortgage was tracking the BoE base rate, it was quite a drop on the monthly repayment that follows...

mike

Post by mike »

Cramond11 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:47 pm

same boat, hope your mortgage was tracking the BoE base rate, it was quite a drop on the monthly repayment that follows...
Oh I wish it had been. I had locked in on a 5 year fixed rate at around 4.7%. Took 5 years before I ended up getting around 1.5%, and a massive drop in the repayment!

MGXYZ

Coronavirus: how to keep things in perspective

Post by MGXYZ »

mike

Post by mike »

@moneygenxyz I feel for fairness that should be balanced with 10 reasons to panic. Fact based research and all that :lol: